Baby baby…

Have you come across rag quilts? I know nothing about quilting and didn’t want anything too ambitious. After doing some research – surfing –  as you do.  I found this tutorial for a rag quilt. isn’t it cute?

image

I used an old soft flannelette sheet and a metre each of lilac, yellow, and patterned flannelette.

Honestly this was such fun to do, it’s made from three square layers of fabric sandwiched together and joined with exposed seams that are snipped so that when washed they fray and curl.

Done

Done!

It’s shabby chic, no ironing here. I washed it a few times to get the edges nicely frayed.  I kept each square the same colour front and back so that when I put it together I would be able to position them in a random pattern without having clusters of the same squares on the reverse. The back therefore is the same orientation as the front, it would be a logistical nightmare to arrange the squares if they were randomly configured. So a little forward planning was involved. The snipping, which was the most time consuming part, gave me a blister, but the end result was worth it, it turned out lovely.

image

The back

It’s now with the new babe and I’m happy to say that the parents are delighted with it.

Advertisements

Sweater weather

photo 4photo (1)

This is top number 64 by Merchant and Mills, made for DD in a moment of rare unselfishness. I bought this fabric from my lovely independant fabric shop. it was the last piece left on the roll I was sure that I could do something with it.  I do get carried away sometimes, I was never going to be able to wear a sweater or cardigan made out of this cosy fabric, far too hot, I needs layers, my cardis are on and off like a…, well, you get the idea.
I got the pattern to make up in a breathable cotton or linen, now having made a trial run so to speak, I’m not sure whether I’d wear the style, it would have to be quite a bit longer and it may be too much faff, I need to have a bit of a think about it first.

This is such a good pattern I love the raglan sleeves, and the pockets.Topstitching was out with this fluffly knit as stitches just disappeared into it, so it was a fast make and it was appreciated, win win.

photo 1 (1)handmade

Give a little respect ….

I made this last summer it is the only Sewaholic pattern I have done, hats off Cambie 2to Tasia, no wonder her patterns are so popular, her instructions are well written and the pattern pieces fit together like a dream.

After seeing all the lovely versions of the Cambie I decided to make it for my fabric cambieDD. I am lucky that I live near a great independent fabric seller and I bought a bargainous quality lovely cotton print and cotton silk lining.

It went together so well and the measurements were spot on, exactly as on the envelope, what a clever girl Tasia is, and what a super pattern but the process was not without hiccups.

Oddly one of the sleeve linings didn’t fit the sleeve main fabric and there was no way that I could make another without a major undo, the dress was almost finished and it took a bit of faffing to make it fit. Obviously I did something wrong which is ok except that I couldn’t work out what I did, I’m not sure if I have learnt anything from this mistake and that is frustrating.

Another thing that didn’t go so well was the stitch in the ditch over the lower Cambie 3waistband seam. That nearly drove me mental, it was all over the place on the inside so I abandoned machine stitching and hand sewed the seam allowances inside instead. It was more than likely that my waist bands were out of alignment, sloppy cutting out or varying SA, luckily I like hand sewing.

I added a lace trim to the lining hem and that’s ok although I’m still not sure which way to turn the lining hem for the best look, one side will look wrong side out and skirt lining often show both sides when peeking out. I had a look at some high end RTW and I saw both examples so maybe it’s a personal preference, I’d like to know what others think.

Although pesky, these little imperfection don’t spoil the integrity of the dress, it looks lovely and I am extremely pleased with the result.

1,2,3

1,2,3

I’ve made three Merchant and Mills Factory dresses and I’ve been wearing them for work constantly.

They’re great I just snag one in the morning and I’m good to go, I wear them with knee high boots and a cardigan, what’s not to love?

The pattern is straightforward, I got the cardboard version. It’s loose fitting and skims the waist and is flattering to my little teapot shape, I usually avoid waist seams but here it doesn’t draw unwanted attention as the dress hangs from the shoulders.

It’s easy to put together, no surprises, the shoulder is slightly dropped and that makes the sleeves easy peasy to fit. The fabrics that I used are linen mixes, the green one has softened over time better than the others, that may be a 100% linen.

That fabric and the blue came from Barry’s Fabrics in Brum, the pink was originally pale green but when I washed it it faded so I dyed it with Dylon in flamenco pink (before cutting it out).

I think it took really well. I’ve had that particular wishy washy green for ages and am really pleased that I found a way to finally use it, whooda thunk that I’d think pink, but it works. Result!