Hey up, it’s been a while.
I want to show you my latest make, the Eva dress, downloaded from the Tessuti website.
I came across this pattern months ago but hesitated to buy because I’d had a disappointing result with their Lily dress. Totally illogical because those issues were avoidable as that fabric was flawed – honestly I don’t know how I didn’t notice that there was a fade line where it had been folded, a line that dissected me in half, and not in a good way, right through centre front and back. Even if I could’ve overlooked that I didn’t like how the finished dress looked on me, shelf bosom anyone? I do like the dress on others though, and that was why I hesitated with the Eva, there are some great versions out there, but I was unsure how it would look on me.
I had a little think about my preferences and what changes I would have to make to the pattern, because, let’s face it, if it doesn’t look right, I won’t wear it. Vanity, thy name is Annie, so, after the old cogs had whirred, this is what I did:
1) Using the pattern pieces as a starting point, I made a muslin for a bodice with darts, thus mostly eliminating shelf boob. What can I say, they’re bosomy and as there are no darts In this pattern, I put some in and that helped, there’s still enough ease for it to go over my head.
3) The best length for me is just below my knee, so I shortened every piece below the bodice at the lower edge by equal amounts in order to keep the proportions right.
Great in- seam pocket instructions btw, and the pattern goes together really sweet, like a jigsaw, not that I’ve ever done a jigsaw, but still, you get my drift. I used brown bias binding tape for the neck, sleeve and hem edges, I really like this finish.
This picture was taken after wearing a whole day, it’s creased, as am I, but linen creases aren’t anything to worry about, I think they add to the charm.
We’re well matched, Eva and I and It’s all good.